This article dedicated to my fellow Indonesians. 🙂 Do you know that by applying online for a new passport or passport extension you will reduce yourself so much pain at the immigration office?
I will start my story from the first attempt to get to the Immigration office in Jakarta Pusat on Jalan Merpati, Kemayoran. I went there because I had read in some Internet newspaper that this immigration office is dedicated to passport extensions in one day. However they only process 200 applications each day; 25 applicants from online applications and 175 applications from people who turn up on the day.
So I arrived at the immigration office at 9.30 am, because I read that you can get the queuing number from 8-11 am. I was thinking that 9.30 wasn’t so bad, but it was a complete failure. All of the 175 queuing number were gone! I asked the immigration officer in the reception area and she said that people started giving out numbers at 7.30 am. I thought, well ok.. I will come before 7 am to get it. She told me that I might end up not getting a number at that time because people already start queuing from 5 am. This is insane! Even though I am a morning person, I don’t want to wake up so early just to go to immigration. So I made up my mind to apply online.
If you’re interested in applying online and save yourself lots of time and hassle, then follow this easy step by step guide:
- Go to immigration website www.imigrasi.go.id
- Click the online application (Layanan Paspor Online), which is going to bring you here: http://ipass.imigrasi.go.id:8080/xpasinet/faces/InetMenu.jsp
- Prepare all your documents (ID Card, Family Card and Birth certificate / graduation certificate / marriage certificate in soft copy (you can simply capture it with your phone because they ask for a JPG file). All the files should be under 1.8 mb file size
- Fill in the online application form and upload your documents. At a minimum you will have to upload the 3 docs that I already mentioned above
- At the end you can pick a date to come to the immigration office by yourself. The soonest you can come is 1 week after you submit your online application. I assume this is a normal time for the immigration officer to verify and validate your documents before you come for the interview, picture and bio metric data
- After you finished your application, you will get the receipt for your online application submission with a barcode and other basic information. Don’t forget, you need to print this
- I came to the immigration office Jakarta Timur (I choose it online) on the date that I had already chosen. Please note that you can go to any immigration office in Jakarta as long as your address in your ID card (KTP) is the same as your address on your Family card (Kartu Keluarga)
- Arrive early, like at 8.45 am in the morning. Oh ya, another important things: do not wear a flip flop, wear proper clothes (this means do not wear shorts and t shirt, but you can still wear jeans and a shirt)
- Go to the registration locket, get all your supporting docs verified by the immigration officer and get your statement letter there from them as well
- Hand all copies of your document to the immigration officer
- After this you will need to make a payment. Passport extension / new passport creation cost are same, Rp. 255.000,-. For passport with 48 pages
- Have your photo taken and do the biometric scan
- Then finally the interview. They will basically ask very common questions. For example, why you are doing a passport extension? Where are you planning to go? And bla bla.. Answer all the questions wisely and I am sure you will be fine. 🙂
- All done! You can collect your new passport after 4 working days with bring your payment receipt
These are the things that you need to bring to the immigration office:
– ID card (KTP asli)
– Family card (Kartu Keluarga asli)
– Birth certificate / graduation certificate / marriage certificate (Akta lahir / Ijazah terakhir / Surat nikah asli) one of them will be enough
– Your previous passport which you need to extend (if it is a new passport application then it is not needed)
– Stamp duty (materai Rp. 6.000) for statement letter, you can get the statement letter at the immigration office
– Copy all of the above documents on A4 paper. Do not cut it and do not copy 2 documents on one piece of paper (for example: do not copy ID Card together with your old passport on one paper). One document per A4 piece of paper.
– The printed receipt of your online submission
Pretty easy isn’t it? You just need one romantic day with the immigration office and all the things are done. Even though it looks like such a long step by step, but you will not regret doing it. If you are not applying online, you will need at least come to the immigration office 3 times and wake up so early in the morning for the sake of get the queuing number. Believe me, wake up so early and long time of waiting is not a good combination at all.
Not interested in travelling overseas? Well.. Indonesia has a lot of things to offer, such as: