A trip to Semeru is the chance to hike the tallest volcano on Java. On the 3 day 2 night Mount Semeru Trekking Tour you will pass the picturesque Ranu Kumbolo, hike across the open grassland of Oro-Oro Ombo and sleep at Kalimati, summit attack and overnight at Ranu Kumbolo. This tour is a unique opportunity to hike Semeru and trek through one of the most beautiful national parks in Indonesia.
The Mt Semeru Trekking Tour is an all-inclusive 3-day 2-night hike. The price is Rp 14.2 million and a minimum of two participants is needed for the trip to Semeru. The price for Semeru trekking includes transport, the hiking permit for the National Park, a certified English speaking guide to lead the tour, food and camping equipment. This tour is subject to availability and early bookings are needed. Review the table below for more information about the Mt Semeru Trekking Tour before making a booking.
– Please get in touch with us for more that 2 people. You can easily fill and submit the form below.
*Price above is based on pick up and drop off in Surabaya. If your pick up point is in Malang, please let us know (the price will be cheaper).
– Simple medical checkup at local clinic (as required by Mount Semeru National Park). Every hiker must present a health certificate/ fit to climb letter from a clinic or doctor during registration to prove they have an adequate level of fitness. In practice, this will be a simple medical checkup at local clinic that has to be conducted one day before hiking day.
– One bottle of 1,500ml of mineral water/day/person for trekking
– Roundtrip transfers from Malang airport or Surabaya Airport to Tumpang, Malang with private car. Note: Transfer for solo traveler and group of two will be using Avanza or similar. Type and size of car will be adjusted according to number of people in a group, changing the type of car will be subject to an additional cost. Please let us know if you want to upgrade the type of car.
– Round trip 4WD Jeep transfer from Tumpang to Ranu Pane the entry point of Mount Semeru.
– One night homestay accommodation in Ranu Pane. Please note that it will be a basic homestay. Meals will be Indonesian food.
– Mount Semeru entrance fees.
– Standard first aid kit.
– Camping equipment, including comfortable tents, air mattress, lights, chairs and camping tables.
– Certified and English speaking mountain guides.
– Group Porter
– Insurance provided by National Park (The National Park recommends the climb only until Kalimati campsite, thus the National Park insurance only cover until safe hiking zone in Kalimati. Climbers still allow to climb the peak of Mt Semeru but at their own risk).
– Jacket, waterproof coat/raincoat and/ or windbreaker
– Long trouser
– Balaclava, Buff/a cloth to cover your mouth and nose
– Gloves and socks
– Sunblock and lip balm
– Trekking shoes
– Trekking pole
– Private medicine
– Passport and copy of passport
– Sleeping bag. Note we can provide only standard (not down -sub-zero -sleeping bag) however please note that in summer, temperature in Semeru , in the day is around 5 – 20 degree Celsius. At night, the temperature is usually below 5 degree Celsius, and it could drop to below zero degree Celsius especially towards the summit. If you need warmer sleeping bag, please bring your own.
Airport pickup at Juanda Surabaya International Airport or Malang airport and transfer to Tumpang, Malang then Ranu Pane, the entry point of Mount Semeru, on the way to Ranu Pane we will stop by at local clinic in Tumpang for medical checkup. Stay overnight in a homestay in Ranu Pane.
Trek to Kalimati campsite on Mount Semeru, overnight camping.
Note for 3D2N Program : After summit Mount Semeru, descend down to Ranu Pane then transfer to Malang Airport or Surabaya Airport
- Camping next to the picturesque Lake Kumbolo.
- Trekking across the Oro-Oro Ombo grasslands towards Semeru Volcano.
- The beauty of sunrise over Java from the peak of Semeru Volcano.
What to Expect
Our team will pick you up from the airport in Surabaya or Malang or from your hotel in Surabaya or Malang. It’s a 2-5 hour drive from Surabaya/Malang to Ranu Pane along winding roads. At Ranu Pane you will stay overnight at local homestay.
It takes 4-5 hours to reach Lake Kumbolo where you will have lunch. After lunch you hike across the Oro-Oro Ombo Grasslands. The hike across Oro-Oro Ombo takes three hours. Finally you arrive at Kalimati where we will setup camp and have dinner. After eating you can rest before the night climb for summit attack.
The final ascent up Semeru begins a few hours before the sun rise. You start the Semeru trekking for summit attack at 11 pm. The climb to the top of the volcano takes between 5-7 hours depending on how fit you are. You will reach the peak of Mount Semeru just before sunrise. Once you’ve watched sunrise from the top of Semeru you trek all the way back to Ranu Kumbolo and stay overnight there. You will arrive back in Malang or Surabaya in the evening of the third day.
The Mount Semeru Trekking Tour is one of the hardest hikes in Java. The beautiful views you’ll see from the peak of the volcano and the sense of accomplishment you’ll have knowing you conquered the highest peak in Java make it all worth it. If you love the outdoors then you will really enjoy trekking Semeru. An all inclusive Mount Semeru trekking package can be arranged through Discover Your Indonesia. Fill in the form below to make a booking.