Want to take more than photos home with you from your travels? Learn how to cook delicious Javanese food in our home cooking class Yogya. You don’t have to be a great cook to join our cooking class, because we are going to have fun and learn together. We will host the cooking class in our home and teach you the secrets of a delicious dish. You’ll also explore the village and the surrounding fields, and/ or the local market. The cost of this cooking class is Rp250,000 per person (if two people join the class). If you are booking on your own, the price is Rp300,000.
During the cooking class, you will learn to prepare two delicious local Javanese dishes. We will meet you at the meeting point and the class takes around three hours. Immediately after you make your booking, we will email you a list of paired recipes to choose between. Review the table below for more information about the Jogja Cooking Class before making a booking.
- Meet up at our place at 10 am at a village on the outskirts of Yogyakarta. We will send you the GoogleMaps location once you have booked the program
- Discuss on the meals that you have chosen
- Walk and collect some of the ingredients around the village
- Start the home-cooking class. You’ll be accompanied by Mrs. Mujirah, the best cook in the house. Or another cook (also great!) if she is not available
- Enjoy your cooking at lunchtime. End of the program
What to Expect
On the day of the tour, our friendly cook will meet you at our home and provide you with an overview of the activity. After settling in and having a nice cup of tea or coffee, we will explore the village to find fresh ingredients for your meal. Depending on the dish you choose, it might even involve a little fishing, a walk through the rice fields, or a visit to the market.
After you have collected all of the ingredients, we will return to the kitchen where we will teach you how to prepare the meal. You will also learn how we use these traditional herbs and spices in our food.
At the end of the class, you will have the chance to enjoy the home-cooked Javanese meal that you prepared. The cooking class Yogya lasts approximately 3, hours (it’s suitable for vegetarians and vegans). We’ll also provide you with some Indonesian recipes you can create for friends and family after you return from your holiday. We’ll email you the PDF recipes after the cooking class.
The Yogyakarta cooking class is your chance to learn how to make delicious Indonesian dishes with a local cook. If you like cooking, then you’ll enjoy our class. You can easily combine it with the Yogya Batik Workshop or Cycling Tour, which is held in the same village. We’ll offer you a discount if you book both activities. Fill in the form below to join the cooking class. We’ll confirm your reservation at the soonest.
You’ll Always Remember:
- Village life in a small Javanese village in the heart of the countryside
- Learn some Indonesian cooking ingredients, and cooking tips
- The happiness of trying to cook local food (and eating it)
Our cooking class in Yogya is part of a community development project in Tembi, a village on the outskirts of Yogyakarta. The class offers you a chance to cook Javanese dishes and learn about local ingredients and the culinary heritage of the region. You’ll leave the class with a full belly and a delicious recipe you can cook at home for friends and family.
Example of paired recipes you can choose:
- Banana flower gudeg; Fried tempe / tofu
- Cassava leaves with coconut milk; Carrot and corn fritter
- Steam fish in banana leaves; Papaya leaves stir fry
- Jack fruit with coconut milk; Javanese fried chicken
- Javanese fried noodle; Mix fresh vegetables with shredded coconut
There is a total of 8 combinations that you can choose one (two dishes to cook). To book the Yogyakarta Cooking Class fill in the form below.
wow, looks so delicious. I would like to recommend this activity to my friend, if they go to Jogjakarta 🙂
Hahaha thanks Adlien!
Absolutely fabulous cooking class. Highly recommend it! Our guide Hanang was informative, knowledgeable and delightful. Delicious lunch made with local ingredients from the walk around the village and rice paddies.
Thank you so much for letting us be part of your journey in Indonesia! Hope to see you again one day!