Trekking Merapi volcano is one of the most popular outbound activities in Yogyakarta. You leave Yogyakarta late at night in a shared car. The hike starts late at night. This is the best time of the day to climb. The temperature is cool and fresh. As you climb Mt Merapi volcano you will see the twinkling lights of the villages in the valleys below. You arrive at the summit of the volcano just before sunrise. As the sun comes up over the horizon you will get a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside.
Hiking Merapi Volcano is an all night trek. You are picked up from your hotel at 10:00 pm and return to Yogyakarta the next day at around 13:00. It’s a 4 to 5 hour hike to the summit of the volcano and a 1 hour drive to the volcano. The trek is a shared tour and a minimum of two participants are needed. Merapi trekking includes shared transport, entrance ticket to the national park and an experienced guide. Review the table below for more information about Trekking Merapi Volcano before making a booking.
– Pick up at 10:00 pm.
– Drive to Merapi National Park.
– Sign in at the base camp.
– Arrive at the summit for sunrise.
– Trek back to the car park.
– Return to Yogyakarta at 1:00 pm.
– Entrance fee to the Merapi National Park.
– Professional guide to lead the trek.
– Breakfast (serve after the climb), 1 bottle of mineral water and a warm cup of tea.
– Waterproof coat and/ or windbreaker.
– A headlamp if you have one (a torch is provided).
– Additional mineral water.
– Snack or energy bar.
- The beauty of sunrise over Java from the peak of Merapi volcano.
- Stare into the most active crater in Indonesia from the top of Merapi.
- The feeling of satisfaction when you finally finish the hike (you’ll understand why).
What to Expect
You leave Yogyakarta in shared transport at 10pm at night. It’s a one hour drive from Yogyakarta to Merapi National Park and the base camp at New Sello. After signing in at the camp you can relax and have a hot tea. You will start hiking the volcano shortly after 12pm. An experienced guide will lead you up the volcano. For every three people hiking the volcano there will be one guide. The guide will only go as fast as the slowest climber.
The hike to the top of Mt Merapi volcano will take between 4-5 hours depending on your level of fitness. From the top of the volcano you have an almost panoramic view of the surrounding countryside for sunrise. If you have a nice camera make sure to bring it. You can get really spectacular photos from here. After climbing the peak you return to the plateau where the guide will cook you some breakfast.
After eating some food it’s time to prepare yourself for the descent back down the volcano. The hike to the base of Merapi volcano will take between 3-7 hours depending on how fit you are and how much energy you have left. At the end of the tour the driver will drop you off at your hotel in Yogyakarta.
Hiking Merapi Volcano is tough, but it’s worth it for the beautiful views you’ll see from the peak of the volcano as the sun rises over the horizon. If you love the outdoors then you will really enjoy trekking Merapi. An all inclusive Merapi Trekking package can be arranged through Discover Your Indonesia. Fill in the form below to make a booking.